This is the first year on-record that I have not been desperately awaiting fall weather. In the past I would be parading around in my new fall wardrobe during a mid-September heat wave, cursing myself (as I battled mild heat-exhaustion) for being so impatient. This year is a bit different, winters in Ottawa are looooong, spring took ages to come around in 2017 and definitely outstayed its welcome; summer I am hanging onto your coat tails as long as I possibly can.
Just because I am waiting for actual fall weather before I don the fashion doesn't mean I can't plan ahead, get excited and lust over every new item that hits my inbox. I am not planning an exceptionally large fall clothing haul but here is a list of my 7 must-have items for fall/winter.
Image Source: Lovely-Peppa.com
Felt Hat: I'm not usually someone who wears hats all year round, usually if it's really hot or really cold I'll put one on. I am currently loving my new black felt Vivian hat from Sunday Afternoons, it is lightweight enough that I can get away with wearing in the summer but I am really looking forward to wearing it with my sweaters, scarves and boots come fall.
Image Source: AylinKoenig.com
Velvet Hand Bag: I think we all have mixed feeling on velvet, it can be really good or way scary, I've been seeing some beautiful, structured, velvet handbags on Instagram lately and I am totally on-board with this velvet trend. I would likely choose a jewel-toned color like dark green, burgundy and navy or even just plain black.
Image Source: Thefashioneaters.com
Leather Ankle Boots: Basic black is always a fan-fav but there's just something about brown leather boots that has always floated my boat. I like them in ankle height with a block heel, lace up or side zipper. I recently discovered the perfect pair of fall boots in the "Coming Soon" section on Everlane that are a beautiful cognac-brown, pebbled leather, let's just say I am definitely on the waitlist for those bad boys (coming September 25).
Image Source: CollageVintage
Image Source: MashaSedgwick
Oversized T-shirt: It's really the Holy Grail of any outfit, a good t-shirt will go with anything and if you go with a slightly oversized version it can be half-tucked, twisted, or rolled for a different look each time you wear it. I'm loving the luxury logo tees (Prada, Gucci, St. Laurent) but there are also lot's of high-street brands with great options as well. I like these tees in basic colors, white, grey, black but also pink and red for fall.
Image Source: ViennaWedekind
Leather Jacket: Most of the time when I'm shopping, fashion thoughts will click into my head, the latest was "I need a black leather moto jacket". It may seem weird that I don't already own one, after all it is a staple item in most people's closets, but I lent it to my sister and it was taken on a night out. There are so many different styles of leather or faux leather jackets to choose from but I like the "tough-girl" feel that the moto-style jacket gives to girlier outfits.
Image Source: AndiSinger
Chunky Knits: This is an obvious one for fall/winter, it gets cold and we get out our big sweaters. I'm loving sweaters with open backs, lacing details, longer hemlines and thicker, intricate knits. Try tucking a sweater into a skirt or wearing over a dress for an unexpected look.
Image Source: GlamRadar
Long Trench Coat: I saw a few of these lately in my online perusing for new fall-favs and I'm definitely loving the idea of a long blazer. Over a logo t-shirt with a shirt, jeans or even dressy joggers this is an easy layering piece to add to your wardrobe as the temps begin to drop.
Shop The Post:
Erin









No comments
Post a Comment