The Scone Witch was always on my list of places to try but in its previous location of 388 Albert Street (I understand there is also a Beechwood location), it was a bit of a trek for me and so I never went.
Having recently re-located to Gloucester Street just off Elgin Street, I thought it the perfect opportunity to check them out!
I love the space, it's open-concept with high ceilings and they have left the electrical and ventilation exposed, giving it a warehouse-y feel. I like that you can see into their kitchen/baking area. The floors are concrete, the walls are grey and the tables and chairs are a beechwood finish which lends a simplicity to the space but there is no warmth or cosiness factor if that is what you're looking for in a lunch spot.
Their menu is handwritten on a large chalkboard hanging over the cashes and they have a great selection of "sconewitches", salads, "mealwitches" and soups, as well as desserts and of course sweet scones. The hot drink menu included a mysterious "witches brew", (which I assume to be drip coffee), tea, latté, Americano and cappuccino.
I had the ham & gruyere "sconewitch" on a cheddar scone and my first impression when they brought it to my table (yes, there is table service!) was "looks yummy but I think I may still be hungry afterwards". I was wrong, the scone was quite filling, it was flavorful, flaky and delicious and the ham was real ham, not deli meat. The only thing I didn't care for was the mixed great which wilted quickly on the warm sandwich.
I also ordered a decaf cappuccino, which was not my favorite, it was very milky and was not poured into the right type of cup (tall cup vs. short rounded cup) but I think that I am comparing to other places I've been and there may be a different or undefined standard here.
The staff were friendly and welcoming, and the atmosphere was pleasent enough, although I could barely hear the music that was playing on their sound system.
My overall opinion is 4 scones out of 5 and I will be returning at some point for a delicious dessert scone!




No comments
Post a Comment